The Jeff Foxworthy’s Grit Chips 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway (half-mile, high-banked oval, Bristol, Tenn.)
Start Position: 4
Finish Position: 3
Current Driver Points Position:
THE RACE REVIEW
· Hornish started Saturday’s race from the third position after he finessed his Mustang around the high-banked, half-mile oval in 15.432 seconds at 124.339 mph during qualifying just hours prior to the race.
· In the opening laps of the race, Hornish reported that his Alliance Truck Parts machine was too free and he dropped back to seventh-place in the running order.
· Over the course of the event Hornish narrowly escaped being caught up in numerous wrecks as he maintained a consistent presence in the top-10.
· Crew chief Greg Erwin used two-tire pit strategy on two occasions to assist his driver in gaining track position, along with improving the handling on the No. 12 Ford Mustang.
· Hornish drove hard and smart over the closing laps, holding off a hard-charging Kevin Harvick to finish fourth.
· The fourth-place finish allowed the No. 12 Penske Ford team to gain an additional three points in the championship standings, now leading second-place Justin Allgaier by 22 points.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“I didn’t get a good restart. It was my bad, and I had to try to make my way back up through it. We had a real good car over the long run, but I just didn’t have enough for them when we needed it. To be able to stay within sight of the 54 most of the day was pretty good. I just need to make sure that we thank everybody at Alliance Truck Parts for helping us out. All these guys on the 12. There was a lot of moving around with lap traffic today, which certainly made it intriguing. I think about every accident that happened we were within eyesight of it and trying to get slowed down, so there ought to be some good in-car footage of it.”
“It was so hard to pass today. You either had to get it done in traffic or on restarts, so everybody is leaning on each other. We could get a couple people and hold our own on the short stuff, so you just needed to be in the right lane on restarts. Greg Erwin and all the guys who work on this Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang did a fantastic job for me today. It’s one of those days where I wish we could have gotten a little bit more, but starting third on that last restart and being on the bottom with 120-some lap tires, it was real easy to spin them. I can say whatever I want to about that, but the 54 and 32 didn’t spin their tires, so I’ve got to work on that a little bit.”