The Aaron’s 312 at Talladega Superspeedway
Start Position: 7
Finish Position: 12
Current Driver Points Position: 2
THE RACE REVIEW
· After starting the race from the seventh position, Hornish radioed that his No. 12 Snap-On Ford Mustang was too free early in the run. However, as the handling came more to his liking, he was able to turn some of the fastest laps on the track.
· At lap 29, Hornish entered the top five for the first time. Following a strong restart after a lap 40 pit stop, the former IndyCar champion assumed the lead on lap 45.
· Over the course of the race, Hornish continued to fight a loose-handling condition on corner entry and under throttle as he maintained his position inside the top five.
· Following a restart at lap 173, Hornish made contact with the No. 43 of Michael Annett as he was forced into a three-wide situation by the No. 18 of Matt Kenseth. This resulted in slight damage to the right side of the No. 12 Ford, forcing Hornish down pit road to work on body damage.
· After a late-race pit stop for four tires, Hornish restarted the race from the 16th position at lap 188. He was able to race his way to the 12th position before taking the checkered flag.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
Can You Summarize The Race?
“The Snap-on Ford Mustang was good, but we just weren’t good at the right time. We needed to keep going in the right direction, but we took a step backward and got ourselves back in the pack. I got stuck on the inside and the restarts were nuts – three or four-wide with people throwing it down in the corner – but I had some fun today, I just wish we could have got a better finish.” – Sam Hornish Jr.